Winning Youth Football

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays

Monday, March 8, 2010

Football Planning Depth Chart

As a football coach I am consistently evaluating and tinkering with my depth chart. A lot of times I'll shuffle through it, add names, change names, and drop names. Move names from a defensive position to an offensive one and visa-versa. I find that consistently managing your depth chart keeps you organized an up to date in your player development.

Like all good football systems that you implement, your depth chart reflects your player's strengths and where exactly they fit in the scheme of things. A football coach by maintaining a depth chart will be on top of his player's progress and keep the best possible line up on the field. It's a good way to track player progress over the course of the season and identifies players that have improved or have gotten better than one that's in a starting position.

So how does it work?

Well, at the start of a season during training camp I'll set up my first depth chart. I'll list on it all football positions that are on the football team including specialty positions and for each position I'll assign a name or names to that football position of the player who at that time I feel is the best player for that spot. After each practice, I'll spend 15 minutes evaluating my depth chart, and move the players up and down the depth chart based on their performance and improvement. I refer to it regularly and have it with me all the time.

I find it is valuable when injuries occur in the game and you need a player substitution right away, pull out the depth chart and scan down and find the player who's the next to go in at that position. It saves time.

I also enjoy discussing the depth chart with the assistant coaches on a player's progress and development. A depth chart analysis will reward a player's hard work and progress while at the same time challenge your players to work hard to keep their positions and not to drop down the depth chart.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment